Chastity & Abstinence
Worth Waiting For
Abstinence simply means saying “no” to sex. Chastity is more than just abstinence. Chastity is being FOR something! Chastity is seeing your sexuality as a gift from God. It means making a conscious commitment to control sexual urges and intimacy with others-saving this gift for its rightful place in marriage. Chastity is holding out for love - and holding on to something beautiful!
Each human being is made in the image and likeness of God. We should strive to treat all others as special - the way we would like to be treated. When we USE one another sexually, outside of marriage, we cheapen this Gift. Sexual intercourse (making love), is something so powerful, so profound and so beautiful that it must be protected by the marriage covenant.
Tips for Living a Commitment to Chastity
- Set your standards high-remind yourself that you are saving yourself for that special someone.
- Choose friends who believe as you do and support you in your decision.
- Set physical limits/boundaries with those you date. Make sure these are discussed ahead of time.
- Avoid the use of drugs and alcohol - this can weaken your self control.
- Dress modestly - your clothing, language and actions show respect for your body and others.
- Don’t be discouraged if you fail. Pray and ask God to give you the strength and courage to begin again.
Did you know the MAJORITY of Young People are Chaste?
92% of teenagers, including 89% of boys, say that being a virgin in high school is a good thing. Nearly 75% say their peers support them if they say no to sex.
- Seventeen Magazine, Kaiser Family Foundation National survey.
Chastity is not easy, but YOU can do it. You and your future spouse are worth it!